Old 24-02-2005, 10:02 PM
CK

Hi,

I am attending a course on 'Organic Gardening'. For growing potatoes, I saw
a video last week and got some handouts this week. It is a no-dig method.

The potatoes are growing in a layer of compost, manure, kitchen scraps, old
leaves, etc which is about 15-20 cm in depth, then cardboards are either put
underneath this layer (as in the handouts) or above it (as in the video).
Then on the top is a mulch of straw, mushroom compost, clippings, woodchips,
shredded paper, etc.

The cardboard must be overlaid with at least 20 cm as it can help to stop
the growth of weeds and lessen the chance of being attacked by eelworms.
Though a hole is still made for each tuber (no matter the position of the
cardboard, if it is on top of potatoes, they can let the shootings growing
through; if it is underneath potatoes, roots can grow through). The
cardboards should be decomposed within a growing season. It would be a good
way to build up soil.

If you use a lot of grass clippings on top, the depth should not more than 2
inches, otherwise, it will turn the growing area in a heat compost 'bed'
that may keep potatoes. It will help to reducing moisture loss. If the
weather is rather dry and you need to water potatoes, just pull the mulch
back first, soaked the soil around the plants, then fitted it back around
the stems.

I got serious problem with eelworms in the first year, so I didn't grow any
potatoes in the second year. I think I can try this method this year.

When potatoes grow, you can top up with new layers of mulch when necessary.

Hope it can help.
CK

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

My seed potatoes are beginning to sprout, but the garden is nowhere
ready to plant them!