Old 25-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Phil L

CK wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: I am attending a course on 'Organic Gardening'. For growing
:: potatoes, I saw a video last week and got some handouts this week.
:: It is a no-dig method.
::
:: The potatoes are growing in a layer of compost, manure, kitchen
:: scraps, old leaves, etc which is about 15-20 cm in depth, then
:: cardboards are either put underneath this layer (as in the
:: handouts) or above it (as in the video). Then on the top is a
:: mulch of straw, mushroom compost, clippings, woodchips, shredded
:: paper, etc.
::
:: The cardboard must be overlaid with at least 20 cm as it can help
:: to stop the growth of weeds and lessen the chance of being
:: attacked by eelworms. Though a hole is still made for each tuber
:: (no matter the position of the cardboard, if it is on top of
:: potatoes, they can let the shootings growing through; if it is
:: underneath potatoes, roots can grow through). The cardboards
:: should be decomposed within a growing season. It would be a good
:: way to build up soil.
::
:: If you use a lot of grass clippings on top, the depth should not
:: more than 2 inches, otherwise, it will turn the growing area in a
:: heat compost 'bed' that may keep potatoes. It will help to
:: reducing moisture loss. If the weather is rather dry and you need
:: to water potatoes, just pull the mulch back first, soaked the soil
:: around the plants, then fitted it back around the stems.
::
:: I got serious problem with eelworms in the first year, so I didn't
:: grow any potatoes in the second year. I think I can try this
:: method this year.
::
:: When potatoes grow, you can top up with new layers of mulch when
:: necessary.
::
:: Hope it can help.

Christ on a bike!
You go through all that lot just to save digging a few holes?...mind you, I
suppose it could come in handy if you live on the 26th floor or on a barge.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/