Old 25-02-2005, 02:34 AM
CK

Hi,

One of the principle of organic gardening is 'Planting for the future',
therefore, we should think about all the natural factors.
You can find out the reason of a no-dig system from the two webpages of
HDRA:

Managing your soil:
http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_mansl.htm

No Dig Gardening
http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/gg2.htm

Besides, using no-dig method with mulching, you can recycle more stuff,
build up your soil, reduce moisture loss, suppress growing of weeds,
minimize the attack from eelworms, etc. Then, you can save time in
watering, weeding, fertilising and earthen up but with a higher harvest. My
tutor had tried the system for several years. She said, after growing
potatoes, the place is very good for root crop (crop-rotation).

Besides the theory of 'organic gardening' which you can find out a lot of
information from HDRA, there is now a more recent term, 'permaculture' -
permanent agriculture. I have just conducted a google search and found
848,000 pages on it. You may have a look of it.

Better go to sleep now.
CK

Christ on a bike!
You go through all that lot just to save digging a few holes?...mind you,

suppose it could come in handy if you live on the 26th floor or on a

barge.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/