Old 25-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Richard Sexton

The last resort method (and it is a last resort) of killing
any procaryotic algae (blue green, BBA, staghorn) is to dump
1cc/gallon of hydrogen peroxide in 2 days in a row. On the thid
day it should all be dead. This makes a real mess of your tank chemistry
and beneficial bacteria, but these algae are very sensitive
to the stuff and it hasfor me killed themdead each time.

The problem is though if your tank not inbalance nutrient wise
any single spore not kiled will makeit come back.

I find this easier than physically cleaning it out.

Change LOTS of watr after this. Siphon out all the dead algae
or you'll get an ammonia spike and get - algae.

Also I've read it takes alll the iron out of your water
so change as much as you casn and dose with ferts to feed
the plants.

This doesn't seem to do much if anythung for green/eucaryotic algae;
and I'm guessing that's because they have peroxisomes.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org