View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 25-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Jon Morris

My vote is to just put up with it... I read this list through email, and belong to about 14 other email lists as well. All of them have off topic posts, spam, etc. With a little organizational filtering (each group automatically moves to it's own folder) and a delete button (right under the 'insert' button on most keyboards ...) I am able to go through 800+ emails a day in my personal account.

Life on the Internet unfortunately has spam and trolls. That is just the way it is. By sheltering yourself trying to hide from it, you will end up with a small closed little community of people with the same ideas and never any new blood to ask those questions about the juniper with glued on rocks. If we do sever the RAB link, and still get spam and trolls, what's next? Invite only to join the group? That way if someone invites a new user to join, and they post off-topic or cause a commotion, we can ban both the new user and the person that invited them... hmm...

Thanks. I will go back to lurking now...
Jon

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 2/25/2005 8:23 AM
To:
Cc:
Subject: [IBC] Admin - R.A.B. - Long

SNIP

1) Put up with it. Continue to issue pleas for it not to happen (mostly disregarded and which also fill the archives).

I need to say here, that those of you on the list know that I prefer to let most topics run their course, without intervention from me. I'll tell you that several members ask for my intervention or stronger list management from time to time but I try NOT to become the final arbiter of what is or isn't okay for us to discuss as long as it's somehow tied to bonsai. Tom's limericks for example were a wonderful relief for me when they returned (thanks Tom).

SNIP

540 of us. Are you tired of receiving this stuff in your mail. This is, after all is said and done, YOUR LIST. Which would you prefer. For the purpose of open discussion, please post ALL replies to the list.

Shelly Hurd - List Owner/Manager