Old 25-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Philip Diamond

On Friday, Feb 25, 2005, at 10:23 America/Chicago, Shelly Hurd wrote:

List Members,

In the past two weeks we have seen an increasing number of
argumentative / off topic posts / and increasing numbers of spam posts
all received through rec.arts.bonsai. These posts not only waste my
time, they waste yours, and fill our archives with what can only be
politely described as garbage.

This was pretty much two threads. Those moron-a-thons seems to have
died out for now. The occasional storm of keyboard barf is an
inevitable consequence of being open to the world.

We/I have three alternatives: (and others have already said I should
not open this up for discussion). So for 24 hours or so let's discuss.
I strongly urge any and all lurkers out there to join in this
discussion. After that I will close discussion and do what I feel
needs to be done.

1) Put up with it. Continue to issue pleas for it not to happen
(mostly disregarded and which also fill the archives).

I need to say here, that those of you on the list know that I prefer
to let most topics run their course, without intervention from me.
I'll tell you that several members ask for my intervention or stronger
list management from time to time but I try NOT to become the final
arbiter of what is or isn't okay for us to discuss as long as it's
somehow tied to bonsai. Tom's limericks for example were a wonderful
relief for me when they returned (thanks Tom).

I agree. If it at all related to bonsai in some way it is fine with me.
But then I'm pretty good with the delete key too. Unless the list is
being overwhelmed by trolls it is a worthwhile sacrifice IMHO.

2) Sever our link with RAB. Bingo, those who only wish to be
spammers/trolls or whatever description you wish to use will no longer
have access to all of us unless they Join The List. Of course if they
do join, I could then be sterner in the control of posts clear to the
point of banishment from the list.

Here I need to add that -- I -- found the LIST via RAB. I don't know
that I would have ever found you folks without it. We're in this to
promote the art/hobby (let's not quibble) of bonsai. Rec.arts lets us
be found by newbies. I have no clue right now how many lurkers are
out there who read and learn but haven't posted yet. I am willing to
post weekly/bi-monthly messages to RAB so that those searching can be
invited to the list and find the knowledge they seek. I do know that
we currently have 540 subscribed members.

I also found the list via r.a.b. I'd have never heard of it otherwise.
Without it being connected to the list there is one fewer channel
available to promote both the IBC and bonsai in general. There is a
real danger of the list becoming both pure and extinct without some
source of new members.

If I could add a 2a) While I don't advocate reducing the link between
r.a.b and the list, could the link be made one way, so that the list
posts to r.a.b but not vice / versa? just tossing another (sub) option
into the mix. This would sanitize the list while still making it's
content available to the usenet public.

3) Immediately place offenders on a filter list. This will prevent
those of us on the mailing list from receiving the problem RAB posts
-- unless, of course, someone else on RAB replies to an offending
post. (This option would not keep these filtered spammers or other
offensive postings from RAB; their posts would continue to show up on
RAB). Pressure on our IBC list archives would be relieved -- except
for those replies -- since only messages that make it to the list go
to the archives. But it would add a lot to my workload.

It would not work. Usenet trolls tend to post in packs and use sock
puppets (multiple identities) to chatter with and among themselves. You
would be chasing phantoms all day. Ignoring them drives them off pretty
quickly.

540 of us. Are you tired of receiving this stuff in your mail. This
is, after all is said and done, YOUR LIST. Which would you prefer.
For the purpose of open discussion, please post ALL replies to the
list.

This lurker (when I have something worth saying about bonsai I will,
but my trees tell me I need to practice a lot before I start giving
anybody advice) recommends that we all try to maintain a sense of humor
about the whole thing. Jerks are just a fact of life. Think of them
like aphids. Poison gas isn't needed when a blast from the hose will
work.

*********
++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
*********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail