Old 25-02-2005, 05:13 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:30:20 GMT, Charles Perry

encourage school going kids to understand & love "nature"

...Which one are "tough"ones to germinate? grow?

Rose seeds are difficult to germinate. I don't know why.
When My wife taught second grade, she would have the children
plant French Marigold seeds and grow a little plant that they
could take home for Mother's Day. She poked some holes in
plastic drink cups for drainage and used potting mix from the
store. It takes about six weeks to get a bud or flower on the
marigolds. They do OK in a sunny window. Tomato seeds are also
easy.

Zinnias are also easy growing seeds. There are just too many variables
and complex procedures with rose seeds for them to be a good teaching
tool for kids. Plus, they look really impressive when they bloom. Kids
love 'em, and they make great blooms for arrangements.

The great thing about zinnias is that you can also teach the kids to
harvest the seeds once they mature. They are really easy to harvest
and save for the next year. You can also teach them about deadheading
as well.