Old 25-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Franz Heymann

"CK" wrote in message
Hi,

I am attending a course on 'Organic Gardening'. For growing

potatoes, I saw
a video last week and got some handouts this week. It is a no-dig

method.

The potatoes are growing in a layer of compost, manure, kitchen

scraps, old
leaves, etc which is about 15-20 cm in depth, then cardboards are

either put
underneath this layer (as in the handouts) or above it (as in the

video).
Then on the top is a mulch of straw, mushroom compost, clippings,

woodchips,
shredded paper, etc.

The cardboard must be overlaid with at least 20 cm as it can help to

stop
the growth of weeds and lessen the chance of being attacked by

eelworms.
Though a hole is still made for each tuber (no matter the position

of the
cardboard, if it is on top of potatoes, they can let the shootings

growing
through; if it is underneath potatoes, roots can grow through). The
cardboards should be decomposed within a growing season. It would

be a good
way to build up soil.

If you use a lot of grass clippings on top, the depth should not

more than 2
inches, otherwise, it will turn the growing area in a heat compost

'bed'
that may keep potatoes. It will help to reducing moisture loss. If

the
weather is rather dry and you need to water potatoes, just pull the

mulch
back first, soaked the soil around the plants, then fitted it back

around
the stems.

I got serious problem with eelworms in the first year, so I didn't

grow any
potatoes in the second year. I think I can try this method this

year.

When potatoes grow, you can top up with new layers of mulch when

necessary.

Hope it can help.

What on earth is all that nonsense in aid of? Just make a hole in the
ground and drop a potato in it. If you feel like it you can sprinkle
a few processed chicken pellets on the ground now and again as a
pudding for the potatoes.
Potatoes actually *want* to grow.

Franz