Old 26-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Pete

"spiral_72" wrote in news:1109257838.263647.17370
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Yup, I got some after work. Finally! The hardware store had some made
of Sodium sulphide (Na2So3) I think..... So, against my principles I
went to the Lowes..... They had the Green Light brand that said it
contained potassium nitrate. I had them pull an MSDS on it just to be
sure. It is supposedly 100%
I tried the stuff in my 16oz jar with water and sure enough.....
Nitrates out the roof!. I put about 1/3 tablespoon in my aquarium
filter. I'll check it out again tonight.

WHOA NELLY!!.
Unless I'm way off here, I think you just dosed your tank to about 20ppm of
Nitrates when you're aiming for around 5ppm. You can use this site for
calculations
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

BTW how is your CO2 levels now, did you jack them up? All the ferts won't
help if you don't get that CO2 to at least 20ish. Treat CO2 just like a
fert, if one thing is missing you won't get stellar growth. FYI any surface
agitation (due to filter output or air bubbler etc.) will lower your CO2
levels. The first indication of something happening (before any algae
changes or plant growth) should be your plants pearling late in the day.

Luck
Pete.