Old 26-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Katra

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:59:31 -0600, Katra
wrote:
"samuel" wrote:

Do you heat those pop-up greenhouses (I've never used a greenhouse)?
Thanks for the pictures, by the way. I think you just gave me the idea
I was searching for, if I can find a place to buy them around here!

We just put a clip on lamp in them during the winter to prevent
freezing... The greenhouses never dropped much below 50 degrees using a
single 100 watt bulb.

What was the temp outside?

Penelope

It never got much below 30 this year, I think it hit 28 at the coldest
but it was enough to freeze everything else in the yard! :-(

But, that's winter! It generally never gets any colder than maybe 15 to
17F above zero. My first attempt at an outdoor winter garden did well
with brocolli, kale, mustard and a BUNCH of red swiss chard. I expect to
get a lot more chard this year from it and just planted more babies I
started from seed in greenhouse #2.

The idea of warming the greenhouse is just to keep it above 32 so one
could use more than one lamp if necessary for colder temps. I live in
Central Texas. These seem to hold the heat nicely.

One greenhouse has a pair baby frogs I developed from tadpoles, and a
tank of escargot snails I'm experimenting with, so it was important to
keep it reasonabley warm! I had an additional lamp a bit closer to them
with a 75 watt bulb.

We will be building a pond hopefully this year and I want to raise those
two leopard frogs up large enough to release into it.

The snails will only be released into a steamer pot. ;-d

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada