Old 26-02-2005, 03:28 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:11:36 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Now where AM I going to store those tarps...AND Blenders!

Yowza, blenders! I missed that part! Are we having a hurricane party before
the fact?

Think of it as a preemptive preparatory strike Donna.

And save the tarps. After Jeanne, when the need for tarps was
acute, they were lost somewhere in the USA. We were joking about it down
here. Yo, Tarps! Where are the tarps? It helps to have a sense of humor,
y'know. There was a story about a truck on I-95 getting a police escort into
Port St. Lucie. It was carrying bottled water and ice. It was bound for West
Palm Beach. But then, they hijacked some of our stash, too. It was a sight
to behold on US I one day; a convoy of tractor trailers (ice, water, tarps,
MRE's) with a cordon of wailing sirens escorting it into a relief area. That
was the day we scored ice, tarps, and a new cell phone battery and a car
charger for the cell from Radio Shack. Boy, we were the kings of the hill!
We did need ice, though not water, as I'd stocked up. But when you went
through the line they opened up your doors and threw in bags of ice, cases
of water, and a brown box. They waved us on so the line would keep moving.
No chance to say anything. Frank was driving, and he said 'What's in the
box?". It was MRE's. We didn't need that! And though we gave almost all of
them away, Frank did try one, and pronounced it much better than the rations
he got when he was in the Army Airborne. And, getting back to the blender,
he found a packet of some kind of vanilla shake, to which he added ice - and
rum.

A Sense of humor is the only thing that helps one through that kind of
event, and the help of good friends.

Now, if my orchids would just get over the ill effects of those storms, I'd
be a happy lady. We have lost a bunch of Phals, some favorites among them.
Sunburn, the wrong light, etc. But things are starting to bloom again. All
will be well. We got us, Babe!

Diana

As much as it pains me to say Orchids are replaceable, You and Frank
are not. So I for one am glad to see you here and in good humor.

As for me, three Generators (Two Small one Large) Over 100 Gallons of
Gas with stabilizer in it, two weeks of water, food, medicine and a
fair bit of cash are already set aside oh and I have several heavy
duty commercial Tarps stashed away as well, along with various tools,
chainsaws heavy line etc. It helps being married to a South Florida
Native when it comes to Hurricane Season prep work!

Now Blizzards are more MY style....

I hope all of us fare better this season than last.

Dave