Old 26-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Pete Franklin

"jay jay" wrote in message

Alan Gould Wrote:

according to Bob Flowerdew its highly nitrogenous, a good source of
potash and great for making a compost heap cook. Always compost
first.

on the subject of chickens, I'm thinking of getting three - can anyone
tell me what flowers/vegetables in my garden might be of serious risk
or maybe this is a rather naive question?! (I'm at the very early
research stage and yet to convince somebody else what a wonderful idea
this is) I would like them to be as free as possible, though obviously
inside at night.

We have two yuppie chickens, from www.omlet.co.uk (they are called Thelma
and Louise). During the summer, they didn't have any noticeable effect on
the garden, but over the winter, when bugs became harder to find and plants
grow more slowly, they have laid waste to the garden. They've eaten the
grass off the part of the lawn nearest the house, scratched up the
snowdrops, crocuses and dafs and generally trashed the place.
So we have invested in some fencing to keep them away from the beds when the
plants are young and vulnerable, and are re-planning our gardening around
the chickens.
On the plus side, they've laid an egg a day each, we don't have a slug
problem any more, and they are pretty low maintenance as pets go.

Pete