Old 26-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Dwayne

I had a cactus for nearly 15 years before losing it a year ago. It was
around 7 feet tall when it died. It got too hard to move around, and after
moving into this house, we didn't have a place to set it that exposed it to
sunlight. We would take it out during the summer, but quit because we
couldn't give it any protection from the wind. I feel that it died from not
enough sunlight.

Dwayne

"Ben" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a small cactus display, with about 4 cactuses in a bowl, surrounded
by some gravel. One of the cactuses is similar to a prickly pear cactus,
only it has very small 'furry' spines rather than big sharp ones. Its
about
9" high, with 4 'pads' on top of each other. Anyway its been growing
really
well, 2 new pads had started to grow out of the top one, and it looked
healthy. But for some reason, recently the bottom pad started to rot, it
got
very soft and squidgy and the cactus started to fall over. I tried
supporting it, and making sure the soil was dry to stop the rot, but alas
today, it fell, the bottom pad is just squishy mush.

My question: Is there any hope for the rest of the cactus? Its all looks
healthy enough. Can I put some rooting hormone on the bottom pad? Will it
take?

It would be a real shame to loose this one, after it was doing so well!

Cheers

Ben