Old 26-02-2005, 08:14 PM
larry

Default I need help with starting a garden..

Greetings

Lets see where do I start...

Last summer, in an effort to help me get a front yard garden started, my dad
bought me 4 plants.. I put them in the front garden, nothing else there and
as the month rolled on they seemed to die.. they were planted in new
fertilizer and watered... I admit that I don't have much of a green thumb..

Anyways, last week, I was at a banquet and, when the head table told us that
the plants were to be given to the ladies at the table, one lady told me to
take one of the flowers...

I brought the flower home and the next day I took off the aluminum foil
wrap, around the plastice pot, and put the pot on top of a saucer... I
poured some water into the plastic pot and some came out onto the saucer..
Each day, since, I have been putting water into the saucer...

Now, my thoughts and here is where I could use some expertise...

When I was in public school, one of our teachers tried to tell us how we
could take one flower and make several flowers... She tried to tell us
that you can snip one of the flowers, about an inch or two, down the stem,
below the flower and transfer this cutting to a glass of water. This way
you can watch the roots start to form along the stem...

Is there any truth to this idea... What you do add to the water to help
promote the plant's life...

Second thought... My second thought, which I more or less just thought of
is this...

Can I remove the plant from the earth, it is current in, shake off the
earth, carefully separate each flower and stem from the bulb and then
transfer each flower to its own pot.. Each pot would have it's own dirst and
saucer etc... Would that work...

Is there a website to show of someone's elses success it doing this...

Any help / suggestions, etc, would be appreciated...

To add to this... this house belonged to my parents that they purchased in
1951...

We / they bought a cottage and the gardens here were left to go.....

I bought the place and am now trying to rejuvenate the gardens... I retired
in summer 2003. I tried to rejuevenate the gardens last year but was
unsucessfull....

This year I am going to try again....

There is a garden under the front living room window and one rather long
one... 4 or 5 feel but 20 feet maybe...

Also a 6 by 6 foot garden my dad used to plant berry bushes and something
else.. I can remember the name...

We also have a long hedge but that is a different story...

note... So interest has been in technology, ham radio etc. my interesting
in gardening has been next to nill, I am now trying to cultivate a new
interest...wish me luck...

Larry