Old 27-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Eltee

Bonsai lurker wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:01:32 +0100, Eltee wrote:

Your isp can ban people from inappropriate posting on USENET, if, the
group is classified as a moderated group. I don't know if this one is
but surely one of the mods knows.

If it is moderated, you can then report the spammers for posting off
topic and harrassing posts. The reputable ones, especially the large
USENET providers will warn their customers.

Not 100% effective but it deters most nuisance posters.

I'd hate to rain on your parade but your "Not 100% effective" could as well be
"Not 10% effective". And that's not the worst news. The worst news is that with
just a little header hack one can bypass any moderation on any newsgroup. Not
even a hack, mind you. Just the right header.

And ... one more thing, dear lurker:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

That's not spam you're dealing with, Carl. There's a big difference. And your
ISP knows it. Besides, your ISP can't ban anybody from posting to Usenet NGs.
Usenet is a distributed network. It would take _all_ the ISPs (in the world!) to
completely ban somebody.