Old 27-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Chris Thompson

Ed wrote:

Im fairly new to gardening, and this may be a stupid question, but how
do you grow tomatoe plants upside down ? how does the plant and dirt
stay in hanging upside down ? Also living in Washington state, would
this be a good climate to grow them like this ? What is the best
tomatoes for this area ?

thanks
Ed

Ed,

It works. I bought an upside-down planter from an online gardern site
and got over 2 dozen tomatoes in 8 weeks. There's a foam insert in the
bottom that keeps the dirt from coming out. It's a bit of a pain to set
it up (it's heavy once loaded with wet soil). But once it's hung, it's
easy to maintain. Once the plant is established, you have to water it
every day.

Overall, it's a good technique for those without good soil or a tiny
backyard.

As for your area, there are many varieties that do well in the northern
climes. I suggest a google search on cool climate tomatoes. Also, I'm
sure your local nurseries know what works in your area.

Chris