Old 27-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Matthew Montchalin

The recent thread in rec.gardens.edible about growing tomatoes upside
down gave me reason to pause and think. In the mid 1960s, there was
an article in Scientific American magazine about growing plants in a
simulated zero-gravity environment doing nothing more than rotating
the plant around three axes, rotating its position or orientation
automatically with motors that were kept running on a 24 hour basis.
I've long since lost or misplaced that copy of the magazine, but bagging
a plant's root system, directing the growth of the stem, and allowing
for constant reorientation of the plant as expected, ought to provide
a means of growing the stem of the corn plant into all kinds of fanciful
shapes like curlicues, pretzels, knots, and bows.

So, has anybody done this with corn yet? Does anybody have some
pictures of corn growing upside down? Can corn be made to grow upside
down, maybe by positioning a fluorescent light underneath it?