Old 27-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Phil L wrote:

I grew some chillis from dried seeds which I got from Spain a few years ago.
They grew to about a foot high in the greenhouse last summer but the
whitefly almost killed them so I moved them outdoors...they didn't really
get any taller or anything else, they just seemed stunted, none of them
flowered or fruited.

They are pretty marginal outdoors, but most varieties are OK in
the south. If they are infested with bugs, it can stop them flowering
(like many other plants).

I brought them into the house about September and now they are just brown
stalks, but I'm sure I read on here that they will regrow this Spring?

It's a bit misleading. While they are perennials, they are tropical
ones and don't naturally go dormant.

There is no greenery at all but they have good root systems and the woody
stems seem to be strong, is there any hope for them? - they are about ten
inches tall and I have kept them on a windowledge above a radiator, keeping
the compost slightly moist but not wet.

I would junk them.

Or would it be wise to just start some from seed as the OP suggested?

Most people do that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.