Old 27-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Lee Braiden

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, and haven't seen any spam yet. I was expecting my first
post to be about bonsai, but since this came up, I'll throw in my two
pennies

On Sunday 27 February 2005 21:41, lynette g smith wrote:
I would like to see some moderation of the junk that is associated with
this list. One of the main problem is that many list members appear to
reply to many of this type of post, or is this just other spammers making
it look like this. Has any body thought to banning members who reply to
spam. I am willing to agree to any measure that would cut some, most , all
of the rubbish out.
Lynette

Hmm... greedy organisations/people deliberately sabotaging a community for
their own ends is definitely not fun. Spam really bugs me, personally --
probably more than a lot of members.

However, sometimes it is genuinely hard for certain folks to tell the
difference, so I couldn't support banning people for being taken advantage
of.

Personally, I filter all my mail with spamassassin anyway. I get maybe 200 to
300 spams a day, but most of them are automatically filtered out. So in
fact, I only see about 10 to 20 of those spams, and then it's a simple matter
of moving them to the spam box to train the filter better for the future. If
anyone is suffering a lot of spam, whether from here or elsewhere, I'd
definitely recommend spamassassin or a mail client that can filter spam, such
as Mozilla Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org).

I think the usual control measures are to limit posting to the list to
registered list subscribers, and often to filter messages through
spamassassin BEFORE sending them out to everyone. Probably easier said than
arranged, though.

--
Lee.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++