Old 27-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alex Woodward wrote:
I would like tips on a good plant that will help to cover a wall. However, I
don't want to use an ivy because of the associate risks. I am thinking of
using a trellis, but don't want a plant that uses 'suckers' to cling to the
wall itself. I would like a leafy evergreen if possible. Any suggestions?

How are you going to attach the trellis? I suggest that you ignore
the nonsense about ivy - it won't damage any walls built in the past
50 years in the UK, unless they are already failing. It very rarely
damages even older ones.

The point is that REMOVING ivy from a wall with loose mortar (e.g.
decaying lime mortar, as used over 50 years back) can cause trouble,
but otherwise it does no more harm than any other evergreen creeper.
And, to grow anything else, you need to fix a fairly solid trellis,
which assumes that your mortar is solid!

That being said, I don't grow ivy. How big is the wall, where do you
live, what is the aspect, what soil do you have, and what other
properties do you want it to have?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.