Old 28-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:12:40 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message 1109338103.891b80adb6b2b82df061e5caddb35e0c@teran ews
from Tim Challenger contains these words:

I'm not too bothered about getting a crop straight away - I guess you grow
the seeds one year to get a crop of seed potatoes to plant the next.

No. "Seed potato" doesn't mean the tuber was grown from a potato
seed; they're grown from tubers in the ground. When potatoes are sold as
"seed potatoes" it means they are guaranteed true to named type and
they, and their licensed commercial producer , are certified free of
potato diseases.

Janet.

Aha. I thought it was just a phrase with a similar meaning to "sets". The
"seed" bit meaning what you would start growing the full crop from, rather
than having been grown from seed.
--
Tim C.