Old 28-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Basil Chupin

John Savage wrote:
On our national gardening show (on ABC tv) Peter Cundall was talking
about pumpkins, and said growers should not to be reluctant to pinch
off the tips of long runners, this forces side runners to grow and it
is these side runners that bear the female flowers. So you will have
more pumpkins if you pinch off the tips of the main runners.

Anyone heard of this before?

Note: Americans would refer to these as "winter squash", I think.

Yes, it is a practice which Peter has been advocating for many years.
But the success of this lies in pinching runners only when they have
reached a certain length - and I don't remember what this length should
be (I have a feeling that it has to do with the runner having 3 side
runners before you pinch it but I wouldn't quote me on this).

I think the same applies to cucumbers.

Cheers.

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence
is called music.