Old 28-02-2005, 10:40 AM
doug

"jay jay" wrote in message

Alan Gould Wrote:
In article , Ted Richardson
writes-
I have a large compost bin full of the scrapings
from the dropping board in the hen house.
It is pure poo, and unadulterated with litter etc.
What would be the best way to utilise this?
I suspect that it would be far too "hot"
to come into contact with any plant roots.
If it is dug into spare ground, how long would I
have to leave it before planting anything?
Your expertise would be appreciated.
-
Yes, fresh undiluted poultry manure is much too fierce to be applied
plants. Give it a couple of months with air access to mature, then
dilute it with compost before use. Even then keep it a few inches away
from growing plants.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

according to Bob Flowerdew its highly nitrogenous, a good source of
potash and great for making a compost heap cook. Always compost
first.

on the subject of chickens, I'm thinking of getting three - can anyone
tell me what flowers/vegetables in my garden might be of serious risk
or maybe this is a rather naive question?! (I'm at the very early
research stage and yet to convince somebody else what a wonderful idea
this is) I would like them to be as free as possible, though obviously
inside at night.

jay jay

*******
Are you kidding?!.
They must have an area fenced off with wire netting sixfeet high to stop
them flying out on to your cherished flowerbeds. It is cruel to snip their
wing flight feathers. Those are the big long feathers on the outer lengths
of their wings. Within weeks their compound will be a sea of mud and nary a
blade of grass in sight. Don't bother if you have nice neighbours to think
you can fancy having a cockerel crowing at the first glimpse of daylight.
Am I trying to put you off?.
No!. In my time I have kept poultry under many different conditions.
Nowadys pellets are available for feeding and give most of the required for
a good diet.
So, what I am saying, is, you don't need to be put off by the above comments
which simply state that they need their own exclusive piece of land. you
have therefore been forewarned and can proceed with confidence and feed on
fresh goggie eggs and have a nice roast chicken in the oven occasionally.
During the moulting season,..... well! that's another story.
Doug.