Old 28-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
writes:
| tom wrote:
| Is it possible to grow chillie plants from the seeds of chillies
| bought from the supermarket?
|
| It is not impossible that the varieties are "owned" by some seedsman in
| such a way that growing them on would infringe a patent or similar
| mechansim. This is intended to stop commercial piracy, of course, and
| I would expect the packaging to be labelled if this were the case,
| although I don't think that is obligatory for the end product food
| rather than the growing plants.

Oh, no, it IS impossible! Plant breeders' right apply to the
growing FOR SALE (and possibly commercial production) - and do
NOT apply to private gardeners growing for themselves and gifts.
And the UK does not recognise the patenting of plant varieties.

We haven't been taken over completely by USA megacorporations,
not yet, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.