Old 28-02-2005, 06:24 PM
me

It turns into hydrogen peroxide, we boost our ponds in the early spring with
a 3% solution, buy it at the drugstore for around a buck a bottle, pour it
around the edges and it will mix with the water, then put in your barley.
You should replace it twice a season.

"Jim" wrote in message
The answer is barley straw. My neighbour has a small lake (100mtrs x
100mtrs) until he placed 2 small bales of barley straw in the lake he was
plagued with string algae, now there is none.

Apparantly you need to remove as much as poss by hand before introducing
the straw before the beginning of the growing season, ie early spring.
The straw needs replacing each year.

I am told that as it rots it realeases an enzyme which is harmless to fish
and other pond life. Try a "barley straw" search on google.

JIM
wrote in message
oups.com...

Well if you figure out how to get rid of your string algae let me
know.
My pond is clear except for that type of algae. I don't want to have
use chemicals.

Keith

Paul wrote:
Hi, i have string algae growing in my pond, right where the water is
returning from the filter.This is the only spot i see it growing. Any

ideas
how to get rid of it or keep it from forming again?? Thanks in
advance.......