Old 28-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Jim Lewis

On 28 Feb 2005 at 10:53, Beckenbach, Jay wrote:

First, we as individual users of the list (either directly or through the
digest) control what is in the archives. If we ignore the spam then it
takes very little space in the archives and could be edited out if necessary

Well, it is possible to edit out individual messages, but it is
a tedious and VERY complicated process, and one that the
slightest error can (and will) mess up the entire archive
indexing scheme.

As former list manager, I would not recommend it to Shelly.

snip

Second, if the archives are of concern (and they should be)

then we should
all clip our return comments, such as this, to the original e-mail.

If we all do these two simple things, then the spam/off-topic problem will
become so minor as to be ignorable. So my post here is a plea for a bit of
personal restraint and responsibility.

Well, over I dunno how many years, I tried to educate members --
and probably got many of them mad at me -- during my tenure as
list manager. There are a number of IBCers who appear to be
uneducable, many of them, it seems, on RAB where we can do
little about it, and virtually ALL the offenders are non-dues-
paying users of the list and website. You all know who you are;
you've received everything from pleas to threats to get you to
snip messages and ignore junk, but you don't do it.

Education is LSoft's recommended approach, but it doesn't seem
to work very well on the IBC.

One of the problems, of course, is that we are continuously
getting new members.

Another is that "netiquette" (like etiquette in the real world)
seems to be one of the more UNimportant things in people's lives
these days. Too many folks just don't care how (or if) they
offend someone else -- on the internet or on Main Street.

For those who have never heard the tern "netiquette," go here --
and OBEY:

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Ex
everything.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++