Old 28-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Alex Woodward

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alex Woodward wrote:
I would like tips on a good plant that will help to cover a wall. However,
don't want to use an ivy because of the associate risks. I am thinking of
using a trellis, but don't want a plant that uses 'suckers' to cling to
the
wall itself. I would like a leafy evergreen if possible. Any suggestions?

How are you going to attach the trellis?

The wall is approximately 3 metres high by 4 mtrs long. It was constructed
about 8 years ago as part of a house extension. There are no windows and it
looks a bit drab, therefore I would like to brighten it up with a creeper.
Of course if anyone has a better idea, then I am all ears!

I suggest that you ignore
the nonsense about ivy - it won't damage any walls built in the past
50 years in the UK, unless they are already failing. It very rarely
damages even older ones.

I take your point about ivy, but what about the mess it might leave if after
I plant it, if I later decide to remove it?. As I have mentioned, the wall
is part of a relatively new house extension and I certainly don't want to
discolour the brick work for no good reason (even though it does look a bit
drab at the moment)

The point is that REMOVING ivy from a wall with loose mortar (e.g.
decaying lime mortar, as used over 50 years back) can cause trouble,
but otherwise it does no more harm than any other evergreen creeper.
And, to grow anything else, you need to fix a fairly solid trellis,
which assumes that your mortar is solid!

The mortar is solid, plus there are other places where I can anchor it.

That being said, I don't grow ivy. How big is the wall,

See above

where do you
live,

UK, zone 8

what is the aspect,
east facing

what soil do you have,

It will be planted in a long container, therefore I'll use the soil that is
required (provided I can get hold of it)

and what other
properties do you want it to have?

Hopefully it will grow quite rapidly initially, though I don't want it to
swamp the house. I don't mind if it completely covers the wall I intend
putting it against though. Also I'd like to see some colour change on its
leaves during autumn.

By the way I'd like to point out that I am not an avid gardener by any means
and am quite new to it, so please be patient with me if some of my questions
seem a little stupid!

Thanks for your reply and for any more tips you can give.

Alex.