Old 28-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alex Woodward wrote:
I would like tips on a good plant that will help to cover a wall.

However,
don't want to use an ivy because of the associate risks. I am thinking

of
using a trellis, but don't want a plant that uses 'suckers' to cling to
the
wall itself. I would like a leafy evergreen if possible. Any

suggestions?

snip
where do you
live,

UK, zone 8

what is the aspect,
east facing

what soil do you have,

It will be planted in a long container, therefore I'll use the soil that

is
required (provided I can get hold of it)

and what other
properties do you want it to have?

Hopefully it will grow quite rapidly initially, though I don't want it to
swamp the house. I don't mind if it completely covers the wall I intend
putting it against though. Also I'd like to see some colour change on its
leaves during autumn.

By the way I'd like to point out that I am not an avid gardener by any

means
and am quite new to it, so please be patient with me if some of my

questions
seem a little stupid!

Shame you have to grow it in a container, still if your heart is set on an
evergreen in a container, things to bear in mind are, container as large as
possable (or you will be watering for ever)
Very secure trellis that is about 3" off the wall (or the plants will damage
in the wind)

Choices that may work on an east wall that is not too frosty.
Ercilla volubilis (does self cling but tends to pull off due to its weight)
in full flower now and very scented.
Clematis armandii
Passiflora caerulea
Trachelospermum asiaticum or jasminoides (this will turn red in autumn as
well as be evergreen but glues itself to the wall (not like ivy or viginia
creeper) asiaticum flowers well but the jasminoides can be shy to flower,
the best form is called 'Majus' and there are a couple of very attractive
variegated forms.

I am very fond of Holboelia latifolia but the last few nights have stripped
the flower buds, ditto Akebia quinata, but that tends to be semi evergreen
if frosted.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk