Old 28-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I am very fond of Holboelia latifolia but the last few nights have stripped
the flower buds, ditto Akebia quinata, but that tends to be semi evergreen
if frosted.

I shall see if my Akebia quinata flowers, though my experience is that
it is tolerably frost-resistant - on the other hand, it is reliably
deciduous with me, even in a very mild winter.

So far, I have not got Holboellia to flower, as the buds get frosted
by the slightest nip - even the new shoots die, but that is scarcely
a matter of concern, as it merely acts as a bit of pinching out.

I don't think that a mere -7 Celcius will be enough to worry either
Clematis armandii or Passiflora caerulea - curiously, I have found
the flower buds of the former to be more frost-resistant than the
shoots. And, of course, the latter is semi-evergreen, indeed almost
herbaceous, with me.

Most the above is the difference between where you live and where
I do.

What will be nasty is if this weather is followed by a long spell
of cold and wet, as that could let the bacteria and fungi into the
frost damage. That is more likely to be your problem than mine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.