Old 01-03-2005, 01:19 AM
HC

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Rod.....I agree with your comment about them not breeding until adult
colouration has been reached, but I haven't seen an adult around, that's
what had me puzzled. I normally see the new babies around mid-late Feb
to early March so this ties in with eggs being laid around October with
incubation period following. Maybe there is adult in a neighbouring
garden and the babies have gone walkabout and ended up in my yard??

I'd just love one (at least) to get to adult colours because in past
years I've had what was identified as Gippsland Water Dragons rather
than Eastern's that are in my local area. NPWS identified the young
Gippsland's previously and we were all amazed that one was found this
far north. I'm in Port Macquarie and they are only known to be as far
north (from Vic) as Nowra on the south coast NSW. After the original
GWD appeared around 10 years ago I had just bought a hanging staghorn
fern from the nursery and thought it might have hitched a ride north in
the truck delivering them to the nursery, so that's why I'd really love
to get a dragon to adult size to really know if he/she's a GWD or EWD.

Hey.......send a Gilberts if you have too many!!! LOL I'll soon have
to blue tongue lizard proof the freezer that is in my garage as the
blueys like to get next to the motor during winter. I had them blocked
from my last freezer that carked it last year and want to keep them out
of the new freezer motor before they get tangled in wiring and it costs
me another freezer.

Wish I could shoot the cats around here, but living in suburbia doesn't
allow for those luxuries...when I lived on acres it was common for me to
do a cat patrol too, often sleeping next to the duckyards on an old wire
camp stretcher because I bred ducks, geese, turkeys and peafowl as well
as heaps of native birds, some that came to the house to be fed and
others that stayed their distance. They were all so cute!

Bronwyn ;-)