Old 28-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Alex Woodward

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alex Woodward wrote:
I would like tips on a good plant that will help to cover a wall.

However,
don't want to use an ivy because of the associate risks. I am thinking

of
using a trellis, but don't want a plant that uses 'suckers' to cling to
the
wall itself. I would like a leafy evergreen if possible. Any

suggestions?

snip
where do you
live,

UK, zone 8

what is the aspect,
east facing

what soil do you have,

It will be planted in a long container, therefore I'll use the soil that

is
required (provided I can get hold of it)

and what other
properties do you want it to have?

Hopefully it will grow quite rapidly initially, though I don't want it to
swamp the house. I don't mind if it completely covers the wall I intend
putting it against though. Also I'd like to see some colour change on its
leaves during autumn.

By the way I'd like to point out that I am not an avid gardener by any

means
and am quite new to it, so please be patient with me if some of my

questions
seem a little stupid!

Shame you have to grow it in a container, still if your heart is set on an
evergreen in a container, things to bear in mind are, container as large
as
possable (or you will be watering for ever)

I have a path that runs the course of the wall. Unfortunately the path
cannot be moved (Well I could, but then I'd have to clamber over the rest of
the garden to get to the rear of the house!)

Is it possible to calculate how much soil a climber requires to fully
mature? One of the other posters says that some climbers don't need a great
depth of soil.

I've had a look at the climbers you have suggested and all have got there
merits. When is the best time to plant. I am assuming that now is not the
best time, due to the extremely cold weather we are experiencing in the UK.

Alex