View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 02:55 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2004

I would need to know the names of these plants and the sun conditions to help.

Quote:
When I was in public school, one of our teachers tried to tell us how we could take one flower and make several flowers... She tried to tell us that you can snip one of the flowers, about an inch or two, down the stem, below the flower and transfer this cutting to a glass of water. This way you can watch the roots start to form along the stem...

Is there any truth to this idea... What you do add to the water to help promote the plant's life...

Can I remove the plant from the earth, it is current in, shake off the earth, carefully separate each flower and stem from the bulb and then transfer each flower to its own pot.. Each pot would have it's own dirt and saucer etc... Would that work...Any help / suggestions, etc, would be appreciated...

Larry
There are many different types of primrose (known botanically as Primula) but I suspect that the one you have is a hardy one -Primula vulgaris - English Primrose. It's considered a 'Hardy Primrose'. Of the hardy ones there are bog types and rock and cliff types. If this is your plant, it is a rock and cliff type. Is this it?
http://www.plantfacts.com/Family/Pri...vulgaris.shtml

If that is your plant, it can be propagated by division, offsets (babies that come up next to parent) or from seed. It's a difficult one to propagate from seed, so your best bet would be division. I suspect the plant isn't old enough to give you divisions yet. Take a look here.
http://www.manntaylor.com/plantweek39c.html

From this site:
http://www.botany.com/primula.html
"PROPAGATION - Hardy Primulas: Seeds should be sown as soon as they've been harvested. If sown immediately, they'll usually sprout quite well. If they're kept for only a few weeks before sowing they will take much longer to germinate; they will come up irregularly over a long period. The seeds should be planted in pots or pans filled with sifted loam, leaf mold or peat moss and sand. After potting, water them well and place them in a shady, north-facing cold frame or other shaded spot. Keep them covered with a sheet of glass and a piece of paper. As soon as they are big enough to handle, pluck them out and grow in the usual way. If the seeds haven't germinated by autumn, the pans can be placed in a shady spot in the open, exposed to frost and snow all winter. This will help germination and they'll usually pop up after the pans are transferred to a frame in the spring. When dealing with the seeds of rare and valuable Primulas, hope for germination should not be abandoned before 18 month or 2 years. The English Primrose (P. vulgaris) and P. auricula and their varieties can also be increased by dividing them as soon as they've finished flowering or by offsets."

I also suspect that you are watering too much. I'd say to let the top inch of the soil dry to the touch before you water again. If you decide to put pebbles in the saucer under the pot, don't let the plant sit in the water.

"POTTING - Hardy Primulas: The rock and cliff dwelling Primulas grow the best in rock gardens in loamy soil that has good drainage and never becomes too dry. Leaf mold, sand and a bit of limestone or rubble added would be beneficial."

Newt