Old 01-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:25:47 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message 1109577624.593983e696f1a54fe9e8e6f7150597de@teran ews
from Tim Challenger contains these words:

Is there any trick to getting them to fruit? My attempts have always wilted
before I noticed any seed pods/fruit in the growth. IS there a trick? Or
did I just stop caring for the plants too early?

Austrian summers could be sunnierand drier than UK summers. so potato
haulms dry off and die at an earlier stage? Here, they often stay green
long enough to set fruit.

That could be it, really. They can get quite warm and dry (except last year
:-( ). They flower well, but then start going dry and wilting.

Just one word of warning..the fruits look very like green tomatoes,
but don't be tempted to try eating one and make sure children don't.
They are very poisonous (lots of solanine, the reason you should cut
green bits off potatoes).

My kids know tomatoes and generally what fruit/plants can be eaten in the
garden. But as you say, if they look like tomatoes it could be risky. I'll
just have to tell them ... if I get any fruits.

--
Tim C.