Old 01-03-2005, 08:30 AM
humBill

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
For anyone who was following my topic on "lots of ammonia" here are my
results and time table:

12/22/04---------------New 160 gal. pond.
DATE TEMP pH Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate
12/22/04----68 F----7.5-----0.00-------0.00----0.00
12/24/04----70 F----7.2-----0.25-------0.00----5.00
12/26/04----68 F----7.2-----1.00-------0.00----5.00
12/29/04----68 F----7.2-----1.00-------0.00----2.50
12/30/04----68 F----7.2-----2.00-------0.00----5.00
12/30/04----68 F----7.2-----2.00-------0.00----2.50
01/02/05----66 F----7.4-----2.00-------0.00----0.00

added AMMOLOCK and 88% water change

01/05/05----70 F----7.2-----0.50-------0.00----0.00
01/18/05----72 F----7.2-----2.00-------0.00----0.00

88% water change

01/21/05----70 F----7.4-----0.50-------0.00----0.00
01/24/05----74 F----7.2-----2.00-------0.00----0.00

added CYCLE to increase nitrite. No more water changes.

01/29/05----72 F----7.2-----1.00-------0.00----0.00
02/03/05----72 F----7.2-----4.00-------0.00----0.00
02/07/05----72 F----7.2-----4.00-------0.00----5.00
02/09/05----72 F----7.2-----8.00-------0.00----10.0
02/11/05----74 F----7.2-----4.00-------0.00----10.0
02/16/05----74 F----6.0-----2.00-------2.00----20.0
02/17/05----74 F----6.8-----1.00-------2.00----5.00
02/23/05----70 F----6.4-----0.25-------0.50----40.0
02/27/05----70 F----7.2-----0.00-------0.00----40.0

NOTES: Time frame = 9 -10 week period.
Notice no nitrite readings till 02/16/05.
Nitrate readings before nitrite readings.
Nitrite levels from start to finish = ~11 days.

Hope this helps incase someone is going through a new setup.

Rich

I am definitely no expert, but IMHO those are some goofy numbers Rich. I
would make sure your test kits are not old and you are not contaminating
them. Even if they are correct I think you still have some work to do. You
dont give a kH or gH reading. It would seem they are not very high or your
pH would not be bouncing around like that. Rapid changes in pH and going
from 5-40 nitrates in 6 days could definitely be problematic/stressful/fatal
for your unmentioned fish. Not trying to be a downer, just wanted to make
sure you know 0 Am and Nitrites is not the only goal. HTH
Bill