Old 01-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Tex John

Guys,

I've done some research here and it looks like we can try to set the mailing
list software to block cross-posts. ALL the posts in that thread were
cross-posted.

I didn't recognize any of the names (when I looked) of senders as being
regular RAB posters nor mailing list subscribers.

It is just one of those things that blows up exponentially when someone
cross-posts to a dozen groups at a time.

Newsguy does a great job of keeping RAB clean. If you are a part of any
other newsgroup, you know that's true. If you aren't, then you would not
believe the number of times I've been offered a girl for Friday night in the
FORD newsgroup! But not one made it onto RAB.

I've contacted both our ng provider and our mailing list provider. They both
said to make sure all of you understand to never reply to the list on posts
like these -- mailing list or otherwise.

I hope Jim can plug in these filters. You may see a bunch of test messages
while he tries them out. If they work, that will cut out the [only] two
pieces of spam/OT posts that did make it to the list this month.

John