Old 01-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Kenni Judd

Nina: If you really need to raise your humidity, the best choice is a
humidifier. Pebble trays [a deep tray with gravel, and then water at a
level lower than the top of the gravel] are another option; I don't think
they do a whole lot of good, but they probably do more than just the
occasional spritz on the leaves. Plus they make watering more convenient.
Misting the leaves of a plant raises the humidity for a very brief time; and
if the foliage stays wet at night, you are just begging for disease
problems.

But chances are, your plants will put up with your ambient humidity so that
you don't have to do _anything_ instead. Just water thoroughly when the
plants need it.

Here in So. Fla., we are blessed/cursed with a major abundance of humidity,
but the plants will make do with far less. In fact, ours is often _more_
than optimum. The person who figures out how to export our excess to you
folks in need will probably become richer than Bill Gates!
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

I did not know that misting was not good! What do I do instead? They
are in the kitchen, beside the sink and in a filtered window.
I really love my orchids and want to learn more about caring for them
so that I may expand my "collection".

Nina