Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Al

It would almost have be smith-kovachii, or the inverse (depending on which
parent he/she wanted to honor first). Hyphenation seems to be allowed,
although frowned upon.

I wonder if there is some approval or review board?

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Hey, Al: If I can't deposit them, no need for extra points G. But, if
Mr. Kovach's mother's last name was Smith, and he named a plant after both
parents, it would be Smithkovachii? Or Kovachsmithii? Or would he be
entitled to decide between the two choices? [Or maybe his wife would
choose
the former? G ].

Naming hybrids is much simpler -- if the person is alive, you use his or
her
name; if dead, you put Mem. in front of it ... That, my poor tired brain
can
keep track of!
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Al" wrote in message
I remember when I was under the assumption that Kenni was a man's name.

How
many extra points do you want? :-) I'm being free with them. ...and

they
are worth about as much.

A patronym is a scientific name created to honor a person. Let's assume

Mr
Kovach is okay with his mother and wife's decision to keep their own

names.
:-)

I am still searching for a rule governing the choice of substantival and
adjectival commemoratives. I thought I had pinned it down, but could
find
no confirmation. One is used to name a plant *for* a person, which

assumes
they are still alive. The other is used to name a plant *after* a
person,
which assumes the are dead.