Old 02-03-2005, 03:53 AM
HC

G'day

I'm with Paul and the local Maggies come into my house too, often
pooping on the carpet, but that's OK. Let it dry and it brushes off
easily. I've lived in this house for 13 years and the first year or two
there were no birds because the previous owners had two cats.

When the Maggies come I ask them to sing for their supper, and they do
just that.....while I cut up food which I vary from day to day and not
give them so much that they will be totally dependent on my handouts.

Often they will sit outside my bedroom window at 4am and sing a quiet
song, so I tell them to come back at a more reasonable time....for them
that's more like 7.30-8.00am. They are so nice to have around and they
pick through the garden or eat out of my hand. Mum, Dad and three kids
this year....then a second clutch of three, so it was a good year for
them, but they always bring the kids the first day out of the nest.
They are so funny to watch......and such good company.

Bronwyn ;-)

CrumpetHead wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
. net...

Hello
We have had magpies visit our yard for over 15 years now.
Now 2 Currawongs (hope spelling is correct).
The magpies seem to tolerate them, though if they go for the same piece
of food the magpies snap at them, the c/wongs fly a few feet away and
wait around.
Should we attempt to make the c/wongs not feel welcome (and if so how).
Or will they all live together happily ever after ??

Thanks

Tony
--
"The Gene Pool could use a little Chlorine"

Tony,

we have always had a family of friendly Magpies in our yard and always
competing against Currawongs or Kookaburras. We also didn't want to feed the
Currawongs and cause their numbers to inscrease, but if you feed the Magpies
by throwing food to them, the Currawongs will always get enough to keep them
around. We feed our Magpies on most days, but despite this, they still earn
an honest living feeding on grubs etc.

We had one last year that would walk into the house and eat off the kitchen
floor which avoided competition with other birds.

Regards,
Paul