Old 02-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
"junkyardcat" wrote:

Oops...I accidentally left my Aloe plant outside and we had a hard
freeze From the tips to about halfway down the plant, they are brownish
yellow and squishy. The rest of the plant looks fine. Should I snip off the
squishy parts...will it grow new tips? Forgive me for sounding dumb, but
this is the first aloe plant I've had...

thanks!
Angie

I had several large aloes in 3 gallon pots and left them out to freeze,
quite intentionally. I brought them in and within a few days they had
completely gone to goosh. I hacked them down to just below soil level,
watered them lightly, and left them for the last 3 months in a cool spot
that gets very little light. They have recently produced numerous
vigorous shoots and will definitely need to be severely divided. At the
benign risk of being accused of anthropomorphization, I would claim they
appear to have appreciated the freeze.

Aloes are tougher than they let on. If you still have the pot with the
roots indoors, I wouldn't be surprised if yours recovers with a little
benign neglect.