Old 02-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Jeff Cochran

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:37:21 -0600, Piney
wrote:

Searching for comments on faux rocks used in landscaping.

I would like to build a waterfall by my pool from a light(er) weight
material than fieldstone rocks. I've seen some of these prefab units
onloine but never in person.

Comments on their loks ? durability ? other comments ?

Many look like crap. Quite a few are the "lava rock" variety, very
porous and poor choices for ponds/waterfalls. Impossible to clean.
The best are the ones made from a cement mix, sometimes with Perlite
or other filler to lighten them. Often they are made of castings from
real rocks and match pretty well. There are some manufactured for
waterfalls, with appropriate splash points and even drilled for
tubing.

Check your local suppliers, they often have a decent variety
available. One problem is non-native rocks, if they look out of place
your entire "natural" waterfall will look bad. Of course, most around
here have a pile of fake rock with water squirting out the top. You
know, the natural tendency of water to seek the highest point...

Jeff