Old 02-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Elaine T

kathy wrote:
jan wrote Tell her your experience with
the T. Lily last year, what was that Panama
Pacific or Pacific Blue or something. It was
small wasn't it?

Ummmm. It was purple. Sigh. I am SO no
good with names and such.
It was a small or dwarf tropical (probably that's
important too). I grew it in a washtub type container,
one of those aluminum type you get at Home
Depot. Probably a bit smaller all around than
a barrel. Maybe a lot smaller.

It bloomed A LOT but I can't tell you if it was
afternoon or not. (Hanging head in shame) all
I remember is you (jan) talking about tropicals
being open later in the day (tell me I remember
that right...)

And it was purple, very pretty, smelled pretty
too.
But I gave the plant to jan at the end of the
year as it wanted to spread its pads outside
the container and they were always looking
kind of fried. The flowers never suffered but
I felt badly about the pads. I probably should
have been ruthless about trimming any pad
that tried to grow outside the container. That
might have helped.

This year I'm trying my LAST try at a lotus
in that container. I'm good at killing lotus and
jan gave me some divides this weekend and
here we go....

Maybe Elaine someone can recommend a super
catalog for you, where they will answer questions
when you call and you'll find what you need that
way.

Or some other rec.ponder will know and I'm just
taking up space in the room but it is SO nice
in here. All pond related and such.

kathy :-)

There's a purple called Panama Pacific that's fragrant and has a medium
spread. Is this it? http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/48876/ The blooms
are supposed to stay open for a long time. It's not a true dwarf but
maybe I can manage it in a tub you did.

I think I'm going to try a dwarf lotus in one of my tubs just for fun.
However, I've read that it can take a couple of years to see blooms from
lotus.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__