Old 02-03-2005, 11:05 PM
GA Pinhead

Judging from the wild muscadines I have pruned back, they will come back
from just about any stem left. Probably very bushy, when your real
pruning and training come in.

John!

Suzanne D. wrote:

My question is, is there any way to sort of train these back to getting
growth closer to the base? It seems like there is a lot of wasted space
now, as the trunks go several feet out of the ground before any growth. The
trunks are heavy and lean on the wires. All websites I have looked at give
instructions for pruning based on a plant that has been trained well to grow
from the base. I can't seem to find any info on pruning grapes that have
such long trunks.

Any information or web sites would be greatly appreciated.
--Suzanne