Old 02-03-2005, 11:09 PM
John Savage

"Suzanne D." writes:
My question is, is there any way to sort of train these back to getting
growth closer to the base? It seems like there is a lot of wasted space
now, as the trunks go several feet out of the ground before any growth. The
trunks are heavy and lean on the wires. All websites I have looked at give

I've heard that grapes bear only on the canes that are more than a year
old, so even if the plant did survive heavy-handed pruning, you might not
see it fruiting for a couple of years.

How about subjecting just just one trunk to your drastic pruning this year,
and see how it goes? You can hit the others in later years if your trial
seems successful. There is a group sci.agriculture where you might find
people with grape-vine experience.