Old 03-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Elaine T

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
And another question...

My water garden is 3 barrels, with homemade spillways from HDPE pipe.
now I'm concerned that small floating plants and all the fish are all
going to end up in the bottom barrel. Elaine T

If you've looked at my ponds, I have an upper flowing into a lower, and
yes, the first time I put koi in, they were in the lower by morning.

My solution, I took a black plastic plant tray and cut it to fit, it jets
out into the pond a little so there is a larger surface area than if it was
just straight across. If anything does get stuck against it there is still
good flow and small stuff can go thru. Even though the holes are fairly
large, it has kept baby koi, ~ 2", from going downstream.

I used the bottom and part of the side (looks like teeth jetting up). There
is a large rock that lays over this exit, so I can hook it on there, and no
one can see it. Perhaps you could silcon or hot glue it to your spill
spouts? ~ jan

AHA! Baskets! I knew there had to be an easy answer that I just wasn't
seeing. And hardware cloth if I need it, though I doubt I will. The
plant baskets are pretty fine mesh, black, and cheap. I think I'll take
Karen's suggestion and cut one to hang over the side rather than
siliconing it on. The water flow should hold it against the side of the
tub if I can cut it to the right shape. That way if it clogs I can lift
it off and clean it.

Thanks so much, Karen and Jan. Back to trying to get my liner nice and
even on the next barrel. :-)

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__