Old 28-02-2005, 01:42 AM
Carl Rosner

Default [IBC] Don Hofer

I hope that those who knew Don Hofer will forgive me for writing to both the IBC and the ABS, since I am not sure if Don was a member of either group..

Friday the 25th of this month, my dear long distance Bonsai friend, DON HOFER of Citrus Heights, California died after fighting cancer for several years.

I never met Don, but we have corresponded for the last seven years. Our friendship started back in early 1998, I was reading posts on the Garden Web forum about cuttings.

I was new to Bonsai and even greener when it came to horticulture. Someone wrote about putting Serissa cuttings in water, and I thought that was quite amazing. I do not remember what I had posted, but Don Hofer answered me, and said if I would supply my address, he would send me some cuttings. Which he did.

Thus began a long distance Bonsai and Email friendship that has lasted until a few weeks before his death.

Don sent me Serissa Cuttings, Maple seedlings from the many seedlings he dug up under his Maple trees. I created two large Maple forests from these seedlings. Over the years I have received a considerable amount of seedlings and young trees. In return for his generosity I have sent him a few of my paintings.

There is no way that I could ever match his generosity, and I don’t think he ever thought about it.

Don developed throat cancer and here I am three thousand miles away unable to help my friend through his terrible ordeal.

When he became sick I decided to write him everyday, and if at all possible send him a joke or humorous story to lighten his day just a bit. I do hope it brought a little comfort to my friend.

My deepest condolences to his family from this saddened friend.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++