Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Gary

On 3/1/05 9:28 AM, in article ,
"b.cumisky" wrote:

Look for caterpillars or small slugs on the underside of the leaves. I

have
found them at night with a flashlight or in the early am. Slugs will also
chew the stalks.
Gary

Thanks Gary
It could certainly be caterpillars.
Do you have any suggestions on how to combat them ?

Dee Dee

Yes I do, but if you are a home gardener I wouldn't worry about them. The
chewing on the leaves is unsightly but unless it is extreme it will cause no
real damage to your plant. Make sure your plant has lots of compost (top
dressing) and water well when it gets dry. The chewing that goes on on the
stalks affects commercial growers more as their produce must look perfect
otherwise they won't be purchased by people who have never grown anything
and don't know that it is something that is not a concern.
How to combat them should you want to: I pick them off...one at a time...by
hand...with a flashlight in my mouth (a small flashlight). I can't seem to
find them in the daylight hours except for once...I got up really early one
summer morning. Cheers,
Gary