Old 03-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Marty Haber

Good question with many possible answers. Using a patch over cuts is
largely aesthetic. It used to be thought that patches keep diseases out and
sap in. Actually, unless the patch is perfectly sealed and is waterproof,
it can encourage bateriological infestation by providing a dark cavity in
which a disease can incubate. For this reason, most tree professionals
forego the use of any covering over the wound.
Yet, many bonsai growers still use cut paste over large cuts. I believe
they do it because a small tree does look better with it.
My personal preference is an acrylic filler, mainly because it is waterproof
and can be purchased in many colors to match the bark. Besides, the cost is
a couple of bucks vs. $10 for a small jar of imported cut paste.