Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 PM

I live in NC with clay soil. A problem area for me is under my deck
where the soil NEVER seems to drain. I've removed the mulch installed
by the builder. :-( to try and help to no avail. I don't want the

deck
supports to prematurely rot out from underneath us!

The deck supports should be sitting on top of concrete footings or,
possibly, embedded in concrete. If they are just buried in the soil,
you may have problems with settling, as well as water.

It's a little odd that the builder would put mulch under the deck. Is
this a raised deck that you can walk underneath?

First, make sure your gutters aren't draining anywhere near the deck.

If there is a lower region of your yard in easy reach, I would dig a
trench and line the bottom with plastic sheeting. Put in a length of
corrugated, perforated pipe, and fill the trench with crushed rock.
The water will now drain from under your deck to the lower area.

If trenching isn't feasible, you may be able to dig a pit, install a
sump pump, and pump the water away.

Is it possible/adviseable to install a membrane/barrier on top of the
soil to only permit evaporation and no further water uptake?

Could/should I also add crushed rock to assist in draining the water
away from this area?

Any covering, whether a membrane or crushed rock, will reduce
evaporation unless you deal with the underlying drainage problem first.