Old 03-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
The road is scheduled to be widened in front of a 20 acre parcel I'm
developing. I'd like to plant a natural thorny barrier that would be
nicer looking than a fence and could stop a car. Any ideas for shrubs
or small fast-growing trees that would make a good security hedgerow
in Central Florida? Preferably something without a lot of messy fruit,
too.

I don't know about stopping a car, but barberry will put most people or
animals in a world of hurt, or maybe the emergency room. You'll need heavy
duty clothing and leather gloves to trim them once or twice a year.