Old 03-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Bob Walsh

Larry,

I don't believe that neem kills bugs (I may be wrong) but it does inhibit
the growth of the young so they can't multiply.

You can use a mix of 1 pint isopropyl alcohol and one pint orange power 409
with enough water to fill a gallon container and spray the plants when ever
you see bugs.

The 409 loosens the waxy protection the bugs have and the alcohol kills
them. Mealies, scale, and spider mites are susceptable.

Bob
Bob

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
I'm glad you brought this up because I was going to ask about mealybugs as
soon as I had a chance.

I noted a few of the critters in a Maxillaria tenuifolia. The plant is
moderately sized and thus has quite a large amount of sheath. Hidden in
some of the old (brown, paper thin) sheath are the bugs. There were some
of the bugs even hidden in greener areas. Should I have been removing the
sheath all along? There is quite a lot there to do this.

Also, will Neem oil help get rid of the mealybugs? I do not have orthonex
on hand, and wanted to use something more organic, and thus I sprayed the
plant with Neem. Will it help?

Thanks.

Larry

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
About a year ago I asked about an infestation of mealy bugs I had with
a newly bought phal. I just thought I'd let you know how I eventually
got rid of them. I tried the old 'dab them with meths' trick a number
of times but they just kept coming back, so not wanting to infect the
rest of the plants I thought it was do or die time (for the orchid
and/or the mealy bugs!). I completely immersed the orchid
(pot,'soil',orchid to well over the top of the leaves) in a warm
(~35C) solution of Sybol Extra(10%) for half an hour. I did this twice
within a week and haven't seen them since, didn't have to repot and
the thing hasn't stopped flowering since!
I didn't think it would survive the treatment, but orchids seem to be
a lot tougher than people give them credit for!

l8rs
Dave